Changes to Benefit Working Holiday Makers and Companies in Australia’s North
DIBP Annual Report 2014-15
• Sponsorship applications increased by 20.8%
• Nomination applications increased by 11.5%
• The top three countries for 457 visas were India (24.3%), UK (17.2%) and China (6.9%)
• As of 30 June 2015 there were 188,000 457 visa holders in Australia, a fall of 1.3% from 2013-2014
• As of 30 June 2015, 213 labour agreements were in place
• 2262 sponsor monitoring events occurred which led to 569 infringement and breach notices and 321 sanctions
• Two cases were identified as suitable for civil penalty applications and proceedings were taken in the Federal Court for breach of sponsorship obligations.
• Increasing the length of sponsorship periods to five years for established businesses and to 18 months for new businesses
• Providing greater flexibility in meeting the English language requirements
• Extending the period in which sponsors can notify the Department of certain events to 28 calendar days.