The University Grants Commission (UGC), the governing body for higher education in India have published a list of 21 “Self Styled” institutions in Bihar, Delhi, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal and Uttar Pradesh, which are unrecognised by the UGC Act 1956.
Only Universities recognised by the Central, State/Provincial Act or fall within Section 3 of the UGC Act are recognised as genuine universities with power to confer degree qualifications. Institutions who do not comply with these rules are prohibited from referring to themselves as a “University”.
The 21 listed universities below have been declared as fake and are not permitted to confer degrees under the UGC Act.
What the sponsors need to be aware of?
The UKVI have advised UK sponsors that degree certificates issued by these universities can be considered non-genuine and must be aware of this if any potential candidates are relying on qualifications obtained from these institutions.
List of fake universities as of June 2015:
1. Maithili University/Vishwavidyalaya, Darbhanga, Bihar.
2. Varanaseya Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya, Varanasi (UP) Jagatpuri, Delhi.
3. Commercial University Ltd., Daryaganj, Delhi.
4. United Nations University, Delhi.
5. Vocational University, Delhi.
6. ADR-Centric Juridical University, ADR House, 8J, Gopala Tower, 25 Rajendra Place, New Delhi
7. Indian Institute of Science and Engineering, New Delhi.
8. Badaganvi Sarkar World Open University Education Society, Gokak, Belgaum, Karnataka.
9. St. John”s University, Kishanattam, Kerala.
10. Kesarwani Vidyapith, Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh.
11. Raja Arabic University, Nagpur, Maharashtra.
12. D.D.B. Sanskrit University, Putur, Trichi, Tamil Nadu.
13. Indian Institute of Alternative Medicine, Kolkatta.
14. Mahila Gram Vidyapith/Vishwavidyalaya, (Women”s University) Prayag, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh.
15. Gandhi Hindi Vidyapith, Prayag, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh.
16. National University of Electro Complex Homeopathy, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh.
17. Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose University (Open University), Achaltal, Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh.
18. Uttar Pradesh Vishwavidyalaya, Kosi Kalan, Mathura, Uttar Pradesh.
19. Maharana Pratap Shiksha Niketan Vishwavidyalaya, Pratapgarh, Uttar Pradesh.
20. Indraprastha Shiksha Parishad, Institutional Area,Khoda,Makanpur,Noida Phase-II, Uttar Pradesh.
21. Gurukul Vishwavidyala, Vridanvan, Uttar Pradesh.
Should you have any questions or concerns relating to the above please do not hesitate to contact us.