The Home Office has launched a new pilot scheme which will offer UK universities a range of specialist immigration services.
Immigration Minister Damian Green said: ‘British universities are among the greatest in the world – and we want to continue helping them to recruit the brightest and the best students from overseas.
‘We have listened to feedback from the sector and acted, which is why we are bringing forward these improvements. At the same time we are committed to radically reforming the student visa system to weed out abuse and protect the UK from those looking to play the system.’
The new service offered to universities will include:
• a dedicated account manager
• training events for universities on topics such as compliance and how to maintain Highly Trusted Sponsor status
• access to a range of events each year
• the ability to quickly check whether or not a potential student is eligible to come to the UK
• receipt of a monthly report outlining how many overseas students have taken up the university”s offer to sponsor their study in the UK
If the pilot is successful then the UK Border Agency may consider rolling out the scheme to other education institutions which sponsor international students.