Get The Visibility Your Company Needs
Reduce compliance risks and mobility costs while managing individual and project-related travel with ImmiSMART: the solution that unifies your travel and mobility programs.
HUNGARY – Update on Application Processing
January 16, 2024
Hungary has provided an update regarding new immigration laws that came into effect on January 1, 2024. A full overview of these expected changes can be found in our previous news alert on Hungary’s new immigration rules.
The latest update indicates that the validity of residence permits and permanent residence permits expiring between January 01, 2024 and February 29, 2024 will be extended until April 30, 2024. Anyone affected by this extension is not required to take further action. Nevertheless, Hungary’s immigration authorities will not be issuing individuals affected by the extension with a certificate of validity for these documents.
The expired permits remain applicable only in Hungary. It is therefore advised that affected individuals should reconsider travelling outside Hungary as they are likely to encounter issues returning to Hungary. Where they are due to utilize their Hungarian permit to facilitate entry to another Schengen member country, that country may not recognize their Hungarian permit and refuse entry.
Please note that between January 01, 2024 to February 29, 2024, the following services will still be available:
- Taking biometric data for applications submitted electronically by December 31, 2023
- Processing applications for the replacement or substitution of a document
- Processing applications for extension of an expiring certificate entitling its holder to temporary residence
- Processing applications for extension of the validity of an immigration permit document
- Processing applications of EEA nationals for the issuance of a registration certificate or for a permanent residence card
- Processing applications of family members of EEA nationals for the issuance or extension of a residence card or a long-term residence card.
Any applications which were submitted before December 31, 2023, will be reviewed after February 29, 2024.
As always, don’t hesitate to reach out to your Newland Chase dedicated contact should you have any specific questions regarding this announcement.
This immigration update is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for legal or scenario-specific advice. Furthermore, it is important to note that immigration announcements are subject to sudden and unexpected changes. Readers are encouraged to reach out to Newland Chase for any case or company-specific assessments.