Get The Visibility Your Company Needs
Reduce compliance risks and mobility costs while managing individual and project-related travel with ImmiSMART: the solution that unifies your travel and mobility programs.
AUSTRALIA: Skilling Australians Fund (SAF) Levy Launches 12 August
August 6, 2018
Legislation released today announced that the Skilling Australians Fund (SAF) levy will be payable for employer-sponsored nomination applications effective 12 August 2018.
Applicable Visa Subclasses
Contributions will be required in relation to both permanent and temporary visas, and is payable by sponsors accessing overseas workers through the following employer sponsored programs:
- Temporary Work Skilled (subclass 457 – nomination transfers);
- TSS – Temporary Skill Shortage (subclass 482);
- ENS – Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186); and
- RSMS – Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 187).
The SAF will be administered by the Department of Education and Training with the purpose of supporting the skills development of Australians.
The introduction of the SAF levy charge will replace the previous training benchmarks.
SAF Fee Amounts
The SAF levy will be payable in full for each Nomination application, and in the case of TSS visas, for each year of intended employment in advance. The current levy fees are (in Australian dollars):
For TSS and 457 Nominations:
- $1,200 per nomination per year – for businesses with turnover of less than $10 million; and
- $1,800 per nomination per year – for businesses with turnover equal to or greater than $10 million.
For ENS and RSMS Nominations (subclass 186 & 187):
- $3,000 one off payment for each nomination – for businesses with turnover of less than $10 million; and
- $5,000 one off payment for each nomination – for businesses with turnover equal to or greater than $10 million.
Companies employing foreign nationals in Australia should budget for this significant increase in the cost of the applicable nominations, if they have not already. There may still be time to lodge a Nomination to avoid the fee. Contact your Newland Chase immigration specialist immediately for assistance.
For general questions regarding the SAF levy and its impact on corporate mobility, or other enquiries regarding immigration or business travel to Australia, please email us at [email protected].