Belgium Immigration Services

Newland Chase offers full support with all aspects of corporate immigration to Belgium. Please find an overview of the typical corporate immigration processes below. Every situation is unique, so please do get in touch, either through your usual Newland Chase contact or using the details on the right hand side of the page. Our immigration experts will be glad to discuss your needs in greater detail.

Immigration Summary

The Single Permit is the standard route for a foreign national in Belgium working for one employer for more than 90 days. Single permit approval may take up to four months to be granted.

The Highly Qualified Employee or Manager subcategory is the most commonly used subcategory for corporate transfers into Belgium and can be divided into two further subcategories: 'Highly Qualified Employee' and 'Manager'. For Managers the minimum salary requirement is substantially higher, but a university degree is not required. For work stays of up to three months, a Work Permit for Highly Qualified Employees or Manager' without a linked residence permit, is available. Approvals are faster than for the single permit.

The Specialised Technician subcategory is for a foreign national who remains employed by an employer established abroad and who comes to Belgium for between three and six months for the assembly/start-up/repair or maintenance of an installation or service (ie software) manufactured/supplied by the employer abroad. For Specialised Technicians staying up to three months, a Work Permit only is required.

The Cross-Border Work Permit is for a foreign national, employed either within or outside Belgium, working in Belgium but resident in a neighbouring country. It is valid for up to twelve months.

The Van der Elst (Assignment from Within the EEA) process is for non-EEA/EFTA nationals hired within the EEA and sent on assignment to Belgium. A work permit is not required, but a residence permit is required for stays over three months.

EU/EEA/Swiss nationals on assignment to or employed in Belgium do not require a work permit. However, a local address registration should be carried out within ten days of arrival and an EU/EEA/Swiss residence card applied for if staying for longer than 90 days.

Companies posting foreign national employees to Belgium should register the details of the assignment online with the Belgian Social Security authorities prior to or on the first day of the assignment (some exemptions apply). This is also known as the 'Limosa Declaration'.