Norway Immigration Services

Newland Chase offers full support with all aspects of corporate immigration to Norway. Please find an overview of the typical corporate immigration processes below. Every situation is unique, so please do get in touch, either through your usual Newland Chase contact or using the details on the right hand side of the page. Our immigration experts will be glad to discuss your needs in greater detail.

Immigration Summary

The Residence Permit (Local Hire) is reserved for applicants who have relevant, specialist expertise directly related to the position to be carried out in Norway and who will be employed directly by a Norwegian entity. This category is based on position-specific skills and qualifications and applicants may change employers within Norway, provided that they work in the same type of role, with no additional immigration actions.

Skilled workers who are employed outside Norway and seconded to Norway to fulfil a contract for services, or to work at the Norwegian branch of the employing company for a specified time, may be granted a Residence Permit (Seconded Employees). Applicants must have relevant, specialist expertise directly related to the position to be carried out in Norway

Service providers who are non-EEA nationals employed and contracted by a home entity in an EEA country and sent on a limited duration assignment to Norway do not require work permits and may commence work on arrival in Norway. However, a residence card must be applied for if the assignment is for longer than three months.

Some Temporary Assignments for work-related activities are permitted on a Schengen C visa or visa waiver stay for non-EU/EEA/Swiss nationals assigned from outside the EU/EEA to Norway for a period of up to 90 days. To be eligible, the applicant must be assigned from an international company for training in the Norwegian branch of the company or should be employed to fit, install, maintain, repair, or advise on the use of machines, equipment, computer programmes, or other technical systems. These may include high-tech machines which must be installed by the personnel of a foreign company, who are trained in the proper installation of such machines. Assignees must remain on foreign payroll and contract.

Nordic citizens do not need to apply for work permits, registration certificates or residence permits in order to live or work in Norway, but should apply for personal ID numbers at the Population Register.

EU/EEA/Swiss nationals on assignment to or employed in Norway do not need a residence permit (work authorisation). However, a local registration should be carried out if the applicant will be staying in Norway for longer than three months.