Sweden Immigration Services

Newland Chase offers full support with all aspects of corporate immigration to Sweden. Please find an overview of the typical corporate immigration processes below. Every situation is unique, so please do get in touch, either through your usual Newland Chase contact or using the details on the right hand side of the page. Our immigration experts will be glad to discuss your needs in greater detail.

Immigration Summary

Foreign nationals from outside the European Economic Area (EEA)/Switzerland/Nordics working in Sweden for over 90 days generally require a Work and Residence Permit. For locally-hired applicants, the position must be advertised for ten days and Trade Union opinion must be requested. The application can be submitted online by a registered agent or the host company for expedited processing, and the applicant must remain outside Sweden while the Work and Residence Card is processed.

Applicants who will be working in Sweden for up to 90 days must apply for a Short-Term Work Permit via the Swedish consulate in their country of residence, and cannot use the expedited online process.

The Intra-Company Transfer Permit (EU Directive 2014/66) is only applicable to assignees falling into management/specialist or trainee categories sent to Sweden for over 90 days from outside the EU and has a maximum total duration of stay of three years for managers/specialists and one year for trainees, after which time the assignee must exit Sweden. The applicant must have been employed continuously by the sending entity for at least three months at the time of the initial transfer from outside the EU.

In addition to the requirements for a standard work permit, the applicant must have taken out or applied for comprehensive health insurance that is valid in Sweden, and the employer must provide an employment contract that contains specified information about the employment.

ICT permits under Directive 2014/66 allow mobility within EU member states - i.e. work permission is not required for EU ICT permit holders to work in other member states for less than 90 days and a streamlined Mobile ICT permit application may be applicable if working in other member states for longer than 90 days.

The Blue Card (Blåkort) is an EU-wide (with some exceptions) immigration process for highly skilled employees with a local job offer in the destination country and a salary at least 1.5 times the average gross annual salary for the specific job to be done. The category offers some concrete benefits to the applicant. However, the process is currently more complicated than that for the standard work permit category and does not lead to permanent residency as quickly.

Nordic citizens do not need to apply for work or residence permits in order to live or work in Sweden. However, registration with the tax authorities and a notification to the Work Environment Authority if on assignment would be necessary.

Swiss nationals on assignment to or employed in Sweden do not need a work permit. However, a residence permit card should be applied for if the stay will be for longer than 90 days.

EU/EEA nationals on assignment to or employed in Sweden do not need a work permit, EU registration or residence permit. However, registration with the tax authorities is required. A posted worker notification to the Work Environment Authority is required.