Business Travel and Immigration Post-Brexit
Ensure your business and workforce are compliant with the new immigration regulations.
AUSTRALIA: Twenty-Two New Occupations Added to Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List (PMSOL)
June 22, 2021
The Minister for Immigration has announced the addition of twenty-two new occupations to the Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List (PMSOL), bringing the new list to a total of 41 occupations.
Further Engineering and IT occupations have been added, along with ‘Cartographer’ and ‘Surveyor’, likely to assist with the number of infrastructure and construction projects in Australia. Also joining the list are Accountants and Auditors, especially needed during the upcoming taxation season in Australia.
Finally, Following the Government’s recognition of critical skills needed in the hospitality sector, the occupation of ‘Chef’ is a welcome addition to the PMSOL.
Employer-sponsored applicants in the PMSOL occupations will be given priority processing for both nomination and visa applications in the following visa types:
- Subclass 482 – Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa
- Subclass 494 – Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa
- Subclass 186 – Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) visa
- Subclass 187 – Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS)
Applicants and existing employer-sponsored visa holders on the PMSOL can also request a travel exemption to enter Australia during the current border closures.
Occupations on the PMSOL as of 22 June 2021 include:
- Chief Executive or Managing Director (111111)
- Construction Project Manager (133111)
- Accountant (General) (221111)
- Accountant (Management) (221112)
- Accountant (Taxation) (221113)
- External Auditor (221213)
- Internal Auditor (221214)
- Surveyor (232212)
- Cartographer (232213)
- Other Spatial Scientist (232214)
- Civil Engineer (233211)
- Structural Engineer (233214)
- Geotechnical Engineer (233212)
- Transport Engineer (233215)
- Electrical Engineer (233311)
- Mechanical Engineer (233512)
- Mining Engineer (233611)
- Petroleum Engineer (233612)
- Medical Laboratory Scientist (234611)
- Veterinarian (234711)
- Orthotist / Prosthetist (251912)
- General Practitioner (253111)
- Resident Medical Officer (253112)
- Psychiatrist (253411)
- Medical Practitioner nec (253999)
- Midwife (254111)
- Registered Nurse (Aged Care) (254412)
- Registered Nurse (Critical Care and Emergency) (254415)
- Registered Nurse (Medical) (254418)
- Registered Nurse (Mental Health) (254422)
- Registered Nurse (Perioperative) (254423)
- Registered Nurses nec (254499)
- Multimedia Specialist (261211)
- Analyst Programmer (261311)
- Developer Programmer (261312)
- Software Engineer (261313)
- Software and Applications Programmers (261399)
- ICT Security Specialist (262112)
- Social Worker (272511)
- Maintenance Planner (312911)
- Chef (351311)
General Skilled visa applicants in the above applications also appear to be receiving preference under the Independent and State/Territory Nominated visa programs. Please note that there will be no further SkillSelect invitation rounds until after 1 July 2021. State/Territory migration programs are also due to reset their quotas in the new financial year.
Employers who may be affected are encouraged to contact a Newland Chase immigration specialist for case-specific advice.
For general advice and information on immigration and business travel to Australia, please contact us.