CHINA: Certain Nationals Holding Valid Residence Permits May be Able to Obtain a Visa Without a Letter of Invitation

August 11, 2020

The Chinese authorities have confirmed that holders of valid residence permits, including for work or family reunion, who are nationals of certain countries, are now able to apply for a visa at a Chinese embassy or consulate in these countries without a letter of invitation (LOI or “PU Letter”).

However, the implementation of this new policy currently varies from consulate to consulate and should be confirmed before a visa application is submitted.

The new policy may apply to residence permit holders who are nationals of the following countries, applying for visas in these countries:

Albania, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Montenegro, the Netherlands, North Macedonia, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.


Entry to China is currently suspended for all foreign nationals, including holders of valid residence permits.

However, companies in China are allowed to apply for an M visa invitation letter, with a maximum duration of 180 days, for essential foreign workers performing necessary and urgent economic, trade, scientific or technological activities. If the invitation letter is approved and issued (under limited circumstances), the foreign national can apply for an M visa at the relevant Chinese consulate.

Our Advice

Contact a Newland Chase immigration specialist for a case-specific consultation and the latest on the implementation of this policy.

Watch our 30-minute on-demand accelerated webinar examining how China is reopening its borders, the impact of new roles on visas and immigration, information on applicant eligibility criteria, and guidance on fast-track routes. Learn more about our new COVID travel solutions: Guided-Entry Visa and Informed Traveler service here.

For general advice and information on immigration and business travel to China, please contact us.