Bolivia Immigration Services

Newland Chase offers full support with all aspects of corporate immigration to Bolivia. Please find an overview of the typical corporate immigration processes below. Every situation is unique, so please do get in touch, either through your usual Newland Chase contact or using the details on the right hand side of the page. Our immigration experts will be glad to discuss your needs in greater detail.

Immigration Summary

The Temporary Residence (Permanencia Temporal) process is a post-arrival change of status from visitor on a short-term visa to temporary resident and is typically granted for one year (renewable) if based on a local employment contract. Otherwise, it may be issued for up to three years.

It is also possible to apply for the temporary residence while on a tourist or business status in Bolivia. However, in this case, work is not authorised until after the change of immigration status to temporary resident has been approved and notified.

MERCOSUR nationals from Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru and Uruguay can enter Bolivia and obtain MERCOSUR Temporary Residence post arrival. The MERCOSUR residence can also be applied for at the corresponding Bolivian consular post abroad.

There is an alternative Temporary Residence for Argentinians route which only requires Argentinian police clearance certificates, which can be obtained quickly at an Argentinian consular post in Bolivia, rather than police clearance certificates from the applicant’s current country of residence, which may take several months.

The Short-Term Visa (Visa de Objeto Determinado) can be obtained by assignees, local hires or self-employed applicants intending to work in Bolivia for up to 30 days. If the stay needs to be extended, it may be renewed by applying for a short-term authorization ("permanencia transitoria") or/and temporary residence ("permanencia temporal") once in Bolivia.

The Short-Term Authorisation (Permanencia Transitoria) may be obtained within Bolivia by assignees, local hires or self-employed applicants intending to work in the country for a short period of time. It may be issued for 30, 60, 90 or 180 days and can be renewed up to a maximum validity of 180 days.