Slovenia Immigration Service

Newland Chase offers full support with all aspects of corporate immigration to Slovenia. Please find an overview of the typical corporate immigration processes below. Every situation is unique, so please do get in touch, either through your usual Newland Chase contact or using the details on the right hand side of the page. Our immigration experts will be glad to discuss your needs in greater detail.

Immigration Summary

The Work and Residence Permit for a locally hired applicant may be issued, provided there are no appropriate national candidates registered with the Employment Service. It is issued for a period of one year and allows the applicant to work exclusively for the employer for which the permit was issued.

The Intra-Company Transfer Permit (EU Directive 2014/66) is only applicable to assignees falling into management/specialist or trainee categories sent to Slovenia for over 90 days from outside the EU and has a maximum total duration of stay of three years for managers/specialists and one year for trainees. The applicant must have been employed by the sending company for a minimum of nine months (six months for trainees).

ICT permits under Directive 2014/66 allow mobility within EU member states - i.e. work permission is not required for EU ICT permit holders to work in other member states for less than 90 days and a streamlined Mobile ICT permit application may be applicable if working in other member states for longer than 90 days.

The Blue Card is an EU-wide (with some exceptions) immigration process for highly skilled employees with a local job offer in the destination country. For Slovenia, the Blue Card can be applied for at a Slovenian consulate abroad or within Slovenia.

For the Residence Permit/Van der Elst (Assignment from EU/EFTA) process, non-EU/EFTA nationals who are seconded to Slovenia by an employer headquartered in an EU/EFTA country should report their employment to the Employment Service of Slovenia (ESS) before the start of the assignment and submit a residence permit application.

The Work Permit (Cross-Border Services to Client) process applies when the sending entity has no market presence in Slovenia and is usually used to fulfil foreign contractual obligations from a non-EU/EFTA based company to a Slovenian client company. A service agreement or purchase order between the sending company and the host company must be submitted with the application. Applicants sent on assignment must remain on foreign payroll and contract. A permit will be issued for a maximum of three months per calendar year.

EU/EEA/Swiss nationals do not require immigration documentation to live or work in Slovenia, but should complete an address registration within three days of arrival and a EU/EEA/Swiss registration to obtain a residence certificate if staying for longer than 90 days following that.