FRANCE: Residence Permit Fees Reduced and Simplified

January 16, 2020

Effective 1 January 2020, new and generally lower residence permit fees have been introduced, and the number of different residence permit tariffs has been reduced.

Who is affected?

  • All applicants for initial and renewal residence permits;
  • All family members;
  • All holders of a Long-Stay Visa for Residence (VLS-TS);
  • All applicants for visa regularization.

What are the new tariffs?

Standard Rate

The total fee for first time and renewal residence permits has been fixed at EUR 200 for the following categories:

  • Temporary residence permits, such as those for temporary workers or ICT interns (previously between EUR 60 and EUR 120);
  • Multi-year residence permits, such as “Talent Passports”;
  • Residence cards;
  • Long-Stay Visa for Residence (VLS-TS) – for all categories;
  • Regularization visa (previously EUR 340) – includes EUR 50 to be paid on lodgement.


Requests for the following categories are set at EUR 50:

  • Private and family life via family reunification;
  • DCEM (circulation document for minor children);
  • Job search or business creation;
  • Student;
  • Intern;
  • Student mobility program;
  • Au pair;
  • Seasonal worker;
  • Resident card (occupational health).

Stamp Duty

The standard rate of stamp duty, which is added to the permit fee, has increased from EUR 19 to EUR 25.

Exemptions for Certain Categories

  • No fee or stamp duty for the issuance of Temporary Residence Authorization (APS);
  • No fee or stamp duty for initial issuance and renewal of a residence permit granted to victims of violence (family or conjugal, protection order, trafficking in human beings or pimping);
  • No fee for initial issuance of a temporary “private and family life” residence permit issued to young people in the care of the Ase – as well as to sick foreigners;
  • No fee for initial issuance of a multi-annual residence permit granted to beneficiaries of subsidiary protection;
  • No fee for initial issuance of a temporary residence permit marked “retired”.

Our Advice

Employers who may be affected are encouraged to contact a Newland Chase immigration specialist for case-specific advice.

For general advice and information on immigration and business travel to France, please contact us.