NETHERLANDS: Deadline for Residence Application for British Residents Extended

June 1, 2021

The deadline for UK nationals and their family members already resident in the Netherlands before 1 January 2021 to apply for a new residence document has been extended by three months, until 1 October 2021. This is to allow the Dutch authorities to investigate why more than three thousand UK nationals listed in the Personal Records Database have not yet applied.

A deadline of 30 June 2021 still applies to UK nationals and their family members already resident in Croatia, France, Germany, Greece, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malta and Slovakia.


The Withdrawal Agreement protects the rights of UK nationals who made use of the freedom of movement of people in the EU before the end of the transition period.

  • UK nationals who were resident in an EU member state, as well as those employed locally or self-employed in, but resident outside, an EU member state (frontier workers) before the end of the transition period continue to be protected after the transition period.
  • Residence rights apply to UK nationals who are workers or self-employed, or are enrolled as a student with health insurance, or have sufficient resources and health insurance, or are family members of someone who meets these conditions, or are permanent residents.
  • Those who have not yet lived in the host state for at least five years and therefore have not yet acquired permanent residence status, can continue residing in the host state and acquire permanent residence after five years of residence.
  • These residence rights cease after a leave of absence of more than five years.
  • The right of residence is only valid in the country of residence.
  • Qualifying frontier workers with a local employment contract or self-employees can obtain a document certifying their status and recognising their right to work in the state of work.
  • Separate agreements with Switzerland and with Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway mirror the citizens’ rights provisions in the Withdrawal Agreement.
  • EU member states may require resident UK nationals to register or apply for a residence document. Details vary between countries.

Our Advice

Individuals who may be affected are advised to contact a Newland Chase immigration specialist for case-specific advice.