PHILIPPINES: Additional Requirements for Cancellation of Alien Employment Permit

March 4, 2019

Effective 1 March 2019, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) has issued new guidelines for applications for cancellation of Alien Employment permits (AEPs).

What has changed?

According to the new instructions, the original AEP card must be submitted with the cancellation request. Previously, it was sometimes possible to attach only a copy.

Moreover, in addition to a letter requesting cancellation and the valid ID of the company representative or liaison officer, the application must now include a letter from the company or employee authorising the representative or liaison officer, and a document including the location or a map of the company.


An employer wishing to terminate the employment of a foreign national holding a valid 9(g) work visa (e.g., at the expiry of the employment contract) is required to downgrade their visa (and any dependent visas) to a 9(a) temporary visitor visa, cancel their ACR I-Card, obtain an Emigration Clearance Certificate (ECC) and cancel their Alien Employment Permit (AEP) with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).

Our Advice

Employers who may be affected are encouraged to contact their Newland Chase immigration specialist for case-specific advice.

For general advice and information on immigration and business travel to the Philippines, please email us at [email protected].