Get The Visibility Your Company Needs
Reduce compliance risks and mobility costs while managing individual and project-related travel with ImmiSMART: the solution that unifies your travel and mobility programs.
QATAR: Traveling to the FIFA World Cup 2022
August 23, 2022
Qatar Travel After 1 November 2022
In preparation for travelers heading to the FIFA World Cup 2022 in Qatar, the authorities have announced that any foreigners traveling from 1 November 2022 to Qatar should procure a Hayya Card prior to entering the country, except Qatari Residence permit holders.
However, there is no clear information from the authorities as as to whether travelers on Qatar temporary work visas are required to secure a Hayya card. No other standard visit/travel/visa-free/visa-on- arrival permits will be issued during this period and Hayya will be considered as the entry permit.
Residents of United Arab Emirates and Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries will also need a Hayya card to enter Qatar starting from 1 November 2022. This requirement is applicable to all travelers intending to visit Qatar, irrespective of whether they are traveling to attend the FIFA World Cup, for leisure, or any other purpose.
Those with confirmed match tickets can apply for a Hayya card now. The traveler’s accommodation will also need to be validated during the process. To apply for a digital Hayya Card, and to book accommodation, please visit Qatar2022.qa or download the Hayya to Qatar 2022 app (available on iOS and Android).
Hayya Card is operated by the government of the State of Qatar. For any questions relating to the digital Hayya Card please contact [email protected] or call 800.2022 (Qatar) or (+974) 4441.2022 (International). Please contact [email protected], for enquiries regarding the accommodation options.
Qatar Travel Prior to 1 November 2022
Travelers who intend to travel to Qatar before 1 November 2022 may be permitted to entry the country based on the below categories of visas. If the traveler intends to attend FIFA World Cup 2022 matches, they will still need to secure a Hayya card to access the stadium.
Visa on Arrival – 90 days
Nationals of the countries listed in the table below can secure a visa on arrival for 180 days from the date of issuance and are entitled to stay in Qatar only for 90 days, during either a single trip or on multiple trips.
|Antigua and Barbuda||Dominican Republic||Latvia||Romania|
Visa on arrival – 30 days + extendable 30 days
Nationals of the countries listed in the table below can secure a visa on arrival for 30 days from the date of issuance and are entitled to spend up to 30 days in Qatar, during either a single trip or on multiple trips. The visa on arrival can be extended for a further 30 days in-country.
|Australia||Costa Rica||Iran||Moldova||San Marino||Venezuela|
|Bolivia||Falkland Islands||Kazakhstan||New Zealand||South Korea|
|Chile||Hong Kong, China||Maldives||Peru||United States|
India and Pakistan
Citizens of India and Pakistan are eligible to apply for the 30-day visa waiver/visa on arrival for single or multiple-entry visits during the 30 days from the date of initial issuance. However, there are some additional rules in place.
- Travelers from India and Pakistan should have passport validity for a minimum of six months or more.
- Travelers must carry confirmed return tickets.
- Hotel quarantine booking for the number of days advised (currently one day which ends after proof of a negative test).
- Travelers must carry a valid credit card or a minimum cash amount of USD 1400 (may vary and recommended to check with the carrying airline prior to making travel plans).
- Hotel bookings for the duration of the stay must be booked in advance through the Discover Qatar website.
- Travelers from both countries should have a certificate confirming a negative PCR test completed during the 72 hours from the time of arrival.
- Travelers must be fully vaccinated with vaccines approved by the Ministry of Public Health and have completed a period of 14 days after the last dose.
- Those coming directly from Pakistan should also present a certificate of vaccination against polio.
- Passengers arriving in Qatar must download and activate the Ehteraz app upon arrival at Qatar’s entry ports.
Visa-Free Entry for GCC Nationals
GCC nationals do not need a visa to travel to Qatar. This applies to citizens of Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates.
For general advice and information on immigration and business travel to Qatar, please contact us.
This immigration update is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for legal or scenario-specific advice. Furthermore, it is important to note that immigration announcements are subject to sudden and unexpected changes. Readers are encouraged to reach out to Newland Chase for any case- or company-specific assessments.