Get The Visibility Your Company Needs
Reduce compliance risks and mobility costs while managing individual and project-related travel with ImmiSMART: the solution that unifies your travel and mobility programs.
SINGAPORE: Update on M-SEP Scheme
December 21, 2022
The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) has recently launched the Manpower for Strategic Economic Priorities Scheme that gives firms some flexibility to temporarily hire S Pass and Work Permit holders above their existing Dependency Ratio Ceiling (DRC) and S Pass sub-DRC. Eligible firms can obtain additional S Pass and Work Permit quota up to 5% of their base workforce headcount (Local workforce + SPass holders + Work Permit holders), subject to a cap of 50 workers per firm and fulfilment of the commitments listed below:
Condition 1 : Participate in one of the following key economic priorities
Firms must participate in at least one of the following initiatives by economic agencies, or meet any economic criteria to be eligible:
- Economic Development Board (EDB)
- Enterprise Singapore (EnterpriseSG)
- Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA)
- Singapore Tourism Board (STB)
Condition 2 : Commit to hiring or training locals
Your firm must commit to one of the following:
- Increase the overall local workforcesize at the point of M-SEP renewal from the point of M-SEP application, i.e. those earning $1,400 a month or more
- Send local workers to one of the following training programmes : Accelerated Pathways for Technicians & Assistant Engineers (Manufacturing) Grant “APT(M)”, Institutes of Higher Learning, supported by Ministry of Education (MOE) and SkillsFuture Singapore, Workforce Singapore, Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore OR
- Firms will also have to maintain their local workforce shareand show that they have met the above commitments by the end of the M-SEP support period. Those that fail to do so will be suspended from being eligible for M-SEP renewal for 2 years.
The M-SEP Scheme would need to be applied directly by the interested company as third parties are not able to apply on behalf of companies at this point of time. Applications will be assessed by the relevant economic agencies and the outcome would take up to 4 weeks.
You may refer to the following link on further information on the M-SEP Scheme as well as full documentation and criteria required : https://www.mom.gov.sg/employment-practices/schemes-for-employers-and-employees/manpower-for-strategic-economic-priorities-scheme
As always, don’t hesitate to reach out to your Newland Chase dedicated contact or submit an inquiry here should you have any specific questions regarding this announcement.