Get The Visibility Your Company Needs
Reduce compliance risks and mobility costs while managing individual and project-related travel with ImmiSMART: the solution that unifies your travel and mobility programs.
SOUTH KOREA: New Digital Nomad (Workaction) Visa
January 10, 2024
As of January 1, 2024, South Korean Consulates and Embassies have been able to issue a new Digital Nomad (Workaction) visas. This visa allows foreign nationals to work remotely while enjoying an extended stay in South Korea.
To be eligible for the new visa, foreign nationals must meet the following requirements:
- Must be 18 or older
- Must remain employed outside of South Korea and any work conducted must be for the benefit of an employer abroad
- Must have worked for their employer abroad for at least one year
- Cannot be employed by a South Korean company
- Must earn minimum of 84.96 million won (approximately USD 65,860) per year
- Must have evidence of private health insurance with coverage of at least 100 million won
- Must not have a criminal record
If eligible, foreign nationals will be able to stay and work remotely in South Korea for an initial period of up to one year, which can be extended for a further year. Immediate family members, including spouse and dependent children under the age of 18 can accompany the applicant.
The implementation of the Digital Nomad (Workaction) visa is a welcome development. This innovative visa not only opens up exciting opportunities for companies but also provides a flexible avenue for discerning travelers eager to work and immerse themselves in the vibrant experience that South Korea has to offer.
As always, don’t hesitate to reach out to your Newland Chase dedicated contact should you have any specific questions regarding this announcement.
This immigration update is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for legal or scenario-specific advice. Furthermore, it is important to note that immigration announcements are subject to sudden and unexpected changes. Readers are encouraged to reach out to Newland Chase for any case or company-specific assessments.