SOUTH KOREA: Tuberculosis Test for Long-Term Visa or Residence

April 1, 2020

Effective 1 April 2020, 16 more countries have been added to the list of countries whose nationals are required to submit a tuberculosis test certificate in support of long-term visa and Alien Registration Certificate (ARC) applications.

Those certified to have tested positive for tuberculosis will not be able to apply for a long-term stay.

Who Is Affected?

The requirement has been extended to nationals of Nigeria, South Africa, Belarus, Mozambique, Moldova, Azerbaijan, Angola, Ethiopia, Ukraine, Zimbabwe, Kazakhstan, Congo, Kenya, Papua New Guinea, Tajikistan and Peru.

It already applied to nationals of Nepal, East Timor, Laos, Russia, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Uzbekistan, India, Indonesia, China, Cambodia, Kyrgyzstan, Thailand, Pakistan and Philippines.

The certificate is required for long-term visas including the E-7 for local hire; the D-7 for intra-company transfer; the D-8 for inter-company transfer; the D-9 (Treaty Trader) visa for service contracts; and the F-3 visa for dependent family members of work visa holders.

The certificate is not required for the type A visa (government official); the C-1 visa (short-term news coverage); the C-3 visa (short-term visit general); the C-4 visa (short-term employment); and children age under six and pregnant women.

Consular Applications

For long-term visa applications at a South Korean diplomatic mission, nationals of the above countries, resident in any of those countries, must submit a certificate of health including a TB test result, valid for three months, issued by a hospital designated by the relevant Korean diplomatic mission within the last three months.

If nationals of high TB-burden countries are applying from non-TB-burden countries, they need to have a TB test after arriving in South Korea and before applying for their ARC.

Post Arrival Applications

For change of status or extension of stay applications post arrival in South Korea, nationals of high TB-burden countries must submit a certificate of confirmation issued by a Korean public health centre. Applicants should check with a public health center by phone before the visit as most of the public health centers are currently fully focused on COVID-19 tests and treatments.

Our Advice

Employers who may be affected are encouraged to contact a Newland Chase immigration specialist for case-specific advice.

For general advice and information on immigration and business travel to South Korea, please contact us.