We're Here to Help
Schedule a custom COVID-19 immigration consultation tailored to your foreign national population.
UNITED KINGDOM: New Fast-Track Visa Scheme for Top Scientists
February 20, 2020
The Global Talent route, a visa scheme for top scientists, researchers and mathematicians, opened on 20 February 2020.
The Global Talent route replaces the Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) route and allows the science funding agency UK Research and Innovation to endorse applicants for a fast-tracked visa application without a job offer and no cap on the number of visas issued.
The UK government announced that the route will also:
- Double the number of eligible fellowships, such as Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions, the European Research Council and Human Frontier Science, which also enable individuals to be fast-tracked
- Continue to ensure dependents have full access to the labor market
- Preserve the route’s flexibility by not requiring an individual to hold an offer of employment before arriving or tying them to one specific job
- Provide an accelerated path to settlement for all scientists and researchers who are endorsed on the route
- Provide for an exemption from UK absences rules for researchers, and their dependents, where they are required overseas for work-related purposes, ensuring they are not penalised when they apply for settlement
Employers who may be affected are encouraged to contact a Newland Chase immigration specialist for case-specific advice.
For general advice and information on immigration and business travel to the UK, please contact us.