Get The Visibility Your Company Needs
Reduce compliance risks and mobility costs while managing individual and project-related travel with ImmiSMART: the solution that unifies your travel and mobility programs.
UNITED STATES – The J-1 Exchange Visitor Program
June 30, 2023
The J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa offers unique opportunities for global professionals to come to the US for cultural exchange, knowledge sharing and hands-on experience. Employers benefit from the myriad of fields and specialties covered by J-1 programs.
The J-1 program is intended to provide bona fide training and experience for foreign national exchange visitors thus it is issued in connection with a training program. The duration of stay varies by the specific program category and typically ranges from 12 to 18 months.
The J-1 categories include:
(1) arts and culture,
(2) information media and communications;
(3) education, social sciences, library science, counselling and social services;
(4) management, business, commerce and finance;
(5) health-related occupations;
(7) sciences, engineering, architecture, mathematics, and industrial occupations;
(8) construction and building trades;
(9) agriculture, forestry and fishing; and
(10) public administration and law.
The application process is fast and simple as J-1 applications are often given priority appointments at the US consulate. The J-1 has a high approval rate, dependent spouses and children can accompany on J-2 visas, and spouses can apply for work authorization in the US.
Newland Chase Insights
Employers with questions about the J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa should contact Newland Chase today.