The 2017 quotas for work permits for local hires and secondments has been exhausted. The 2018 work permit quotas may not be released before the end of this year, and until they are, current pending applications in these categories will not be approved.
Work permits for other categories, such as intra-company transferees, highly-skilled workers and trainees, are still available.
- If the new quotas are released within 30 days of the submission date of pending applications, these applications will be processed.
- If the new quotas are not released within 30 days of the submission date of pending applications, the deadline will be extended by 15 days. It is not clear whether this extension will be automatic or must be requested.
- If the new quotas are not released within 45 days of submission of pending applications, they will not be approved. It is not clear whether the authorities will keep these files on record and process them once the new quotas have been released, or will require a new submission.
- Note that supporting documents may need to be updated if they expire while the processing of pending applications is on hold.
- The immigration authorities may accept new applications for local hire and secondment work permits even before the new quota is released.
Employers requiring work permits for local hire or secondment of foreign nationals in Romania should contact their Newland Chase immigration specialist for the latest situation, but in any case should allow for significant delays in application processing.
For advice and information on immigration to Romania in general, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This information was provided by our sister company Peregrine Immigration Management.